January 30, 2010

Doubting Thomas. 8.25.07


John 20:19-26 Jesus Appears to Thomas


Thomas is always remembered for his doubt. His whole life and even centuries later, he's still been given this label of the one who doubts. It's the name that defines his life. "You know Thomas"..."Thomas who?" "The one who doubts..."


But Jesus doesn't condemn him for his doubt. Jesus doesn't get mad at him, or laugh, or get in his face and say, "O Thomas, stupid, why don't you believe me?" "Thomas, Thomas, always doubting...when are you just going to get over your doubt?"

No. Instead he stops what he's doing, changes his travel plans, and he stops in front of Thomas..."Put your finger here. Touch me, look, know I'm real. Believe. Don't doubt."
Jesus loved Thomas (and us) enought to acknowledge his doubt, but to do WHATEVER it took to move Thomas from DOUBT to BELIEF. For Thomas, it took touching Jesus' hands and side, knowing He was really standing alive in front of him.

Jesus says the same thing to you and me. "You don't believe? Ahh, put your hand here in my side. See my hands and feet. Reach out. Just reach out and touch me and believe. Know I'm real. I am who I say I am."
The truth about all the people in the Bible is that they were all doubters in one way or the other...Their doubts, fears, and pride lead them ALL to rebellion, adultery, murder, and abandoment of God and His righteousness. They all had their own labels. Jacob, the deciever...Moses, the studderer...David, the adulterer...Judas, the betrayer...

The reality of who Jesus is hit me so hard here.  The reality is we are all losers, labeled by our own sin and mistakes. Christ is the true winner. He loved the church and His people enough not to leave them where they were at, but moved them from a pace of doubt to a place of empowered faith and true destiny.

When Jesus said to Thomas, touch here, believe, He renamed Thomas, It is as though he said "Thomas, you are not a doubter. You are a believer. You are to be my witness in Jerusalem, and Judea, and to the ends of the earth. Look where you are, look where you are going and start taking the first step outside of doubt...reach out. touch me....believe."

God's loved extends outside of circumstances and situations, out side of us and our short comings. That is the true message of the gospel...Jesus is my hero.

*added note on Thomas: He was considered the disciple who covered the most ground after Jesus ascended to heaven. He is believed to have made it as far as India and preached the gospel on his own to thousands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment